Blue sky and the bright stars - Girish's Ramblings

Totally directionless and incoherent writings, teachings, and work of yet another life form on this planet - Girish Nagasandra (Wonder if I am the most advanced life form.. Douglas Adams might disagree.. hmm..)

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Book Review: The Selfish Gene - A new perspective of the world around us!

One of my college friends recommended this book a few years ago. I was intrigued by the concept of the book, so I bought it. For the past few years, this book had been just decorating my book shelf. I finally got around to reading it just last month, and this turned out to be one of the best books I’ve ever read!

This seminal book by Richard Dawkins, presents a new angle to the traditional Darwinian theory of evolution. While Darwin maintained that the individual, the organism, was the basic unit of natural selection, Dawkins presents a “gene centered evolution” angle. Dawkins argues that the basic unit of natural selection is not an organism, but the individual genes that make up the organism. In fact, he goes on to say that the individual bodies are instruments manufactured by the genes for their own survival! Dawkins provides various theories, case studies, examples, and analogies to prove this point – and they all make incredible sense!

This book is one of the top five books I’ve read in my life. Maybe partly due to my predilection towards genetics and evolution; an awe of the diversity, order, and balance of the various life forms in this world; or some reason I don’t know, I just loved this book. Dawkins provides very compelling theories for the origin of life on Earth, animal behavior patterns, co-habitation, mating habits, and things of that sort. Some of the principles he explains can be applied to so many real-world behavioral problems as well. Using these principles, you can explain some of the mysterious human behaviors, the reasons behind them, and what factors will bring about a balance in the system. The chapters are well organized, theories are well presented, and key points are articulated nicely. The only thing I didn’t like about the book is Dawkins’ condescending view of his opponents and rival theories. I felt that Dawkins does not provide due consideration and regard to the rival theories, and haughtily dismisses all of them.

If you have even a slight inclination towards genetics, evolution, or general diversity of life, this is a book not to be missed. This book provides a convincing view of the origin of life, animal behaviors, genetic influence, and the role the “selfish gene” plays in the world at large.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home